Vice President of Government Affairs
The mission of the Maryland Hospital Association (MHA) is to serve Maryland’s hospitals and health systems through collective action to shape policies, practices, financing and performance to advance health care and the health of all Marylanders. MHA advocates for members and their constituents – caregivers, patients, and communities – before state and federal legislative and regulatory bodies. MHA also aids member organizations in their shared efforts – both within the field and in concert with other stakeholders in the private and public sectors – to improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of health care services.
The Association is currently seeking a Vice President of Government Affairs to join our Government Affairs and Policy team in Elkridge, MD will serve as a vital member of MHA’s leadership team.
As the Vice President, you will be responsible for:
- Leading, developing, and implementing an overall government and legislative strategy for MHA’s advocacy efforts at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Effectively communicate and advocate for the Association and members’ priorities to governmental officials, organizations, and government entities on key legislative issues.
- Representing the Association at legislative sessions/workgroups and regularly testifying and speaking publicly on behalf of the association.
- Developing MHA’s advocacy agendas in coordination with relevant member Councils, workgroups, and MHA teams.
- Keeping MHA leadership informed about relevant legislative issues, external factors, and policy proposals that could impact the Association and its members.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key external stakeholders and state leaders including legislators, Governor’s office, and administration staff.
- Researching and analyzing legislation at the local, state, and federal levels that may impact Maryland’s health care delivery system, especially as it relates to hospitals and health systems.
- Leading the planning and production of concise and well-written policy and advocacy documents for internal use as well as external association documents such as testimony and member communications.
- Assisting in the management of the Association’s contractual lobbying relationships.
- At least ten years of experience in government affairs, public policy (i.e. as legislative staff and/or in an advocacy role).
- Advanced working knowledge of Maryland state government, including legislative and executive agency bodies, and demonstrated experience advocating to local, state, and federal government and regulatory bodies.
- Well-established relationships in politics and/or health care in Maryland
- Professional education at a Bachelor’s level or professional equivalent in public policy healthcare administration, political science, government or other related field.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think critically and challenge assumptions.
- Availability for extended work hours, including weekend work, during the 90-day legislative session (January – mid-April).
The Maryland Hospital Association offers our employees low-cost, comprehensive benefits package, a generous tuition reimbursement program, a 401(k) with generous employer contributions and much more.
MHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability. Visit us online at www.mhaonline.org to find out more about our organization.
Please send resume with cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.