MHA recently returned from the Maryland Association of Counties conference, where our team met with state and local leaders, lawmakers, policymakers and influencers to advocate and better position us as we head into the 2020 legislative session.
Maryland has a 90-day legislative session, but we are working year-round on your behalf. And with just over four months until the General Assembly reconvenes, we are laying the groundwork for a successful session.
Just a few of our activities over the interim include:
- Surveying the field on governance/conflicts of interest to demonstrate our hospitals and health systems adhere to the highest standards
- Working with hospitals on a statewide disclosure form for facility fees and creating consumer education tools to promote transparency
- Preparing a major workforce push, including loan repayments for physicians
- Improving the medical liability climate
- Planning a legislative preview for your public relations and government affairs leads and providing tools and resources to advocate on key issues
- Organizing a legislative breakfast in Annapolis for your CEOs/government leads
We are optimistic heading into next year’s session, but we know there are significant challenges ahead and are working hard to address any new potential issues. As always, we are working in lock-step with your government affairs leads to face these issues — and others — head on.